On the 15th and 16th of October 2015 the sixth edition of the EU-India STI cooperation days was held Rome, Italy. This edition was focused on clean water for health, in order to maximise future scientific and business collaboration in this field.
Find the full programme of the event here and all the presenations of the successful two-days event below:
The opening session of the event provided an opportunity to learn about the latest policy developments in EU-India research and innovation cooperation from European Union and Indian government officials and global leaders. The session featured speeches on the Indo-European Partnership on R&I (Florent Bernards, European Commission; Purnima Rupal, CSIR) and global challenges related to water (Xavier Leflaive, OECD). The coordinators of INNO INDIGO and INDIGO Policy Projects also introduced the achievements of the projects to date.
Introduction to EU-India cooperation support initiatives:
The session introduced services available to researchers and SMEs to develop their partnerships.
- Indian Focal Points provide individual assistance and advice to India based applicants in the EU Framework Programme and H2020 conact points to European applicants
- STI Platform in India offers visibility for European organisations based in India.
- EURAXESS supports research mobility
- European Business and Technology Development Centre enhances EU-India business and technology cooperation
- European Business Network promotes, propagates and protects European business interests in India
- European Enterprise Network helps SMEs make the most of business opportunities in India and Europe
- TECO project addresses global water and soil challenges through an improved collaboration between EU and India
- EqUIP provised a platform for the social sciences and humanities
Open Space Session
Open Space is a highly participatory process which has been successfully employed in thousands of situations around the world for the past three decades to talk about (and work on) issues of real concern for the participants. The session aimed to discuss on enhancing EU-India cooperation and based on the interest of audience, self organising groups were formed to discuss: need based development, water creation, peoples partnerships, technology transfer vs. frugal innovation, from urban to rural - monitoring water distribution, Solar power and water, consumers awareness, water priority issues in India, water and energy, opening bilateral programmes, and taking science from the lab into the field.
Young Scientist Competition 2015
The finals of the annual young scientist competition were held in the EU-India STI Cooperation Days. Sreemoyee Ghosh Ray emerged the winner of the competition after being voted by the conference's audience, bagging a fully paid trip to a conference of her choice in Europe. Find the winning video and learn more about the competition here.
Showcasing Indo-European Cooperation in water research
The projects funded under the INNO INDIGO Partnersip programme call on "Clean water and health" introduced their goals and expected outputs:
- POMACEA - Affordable technology for mitigation of membrane (bio)fouling through optimization of pre-treatment and cleaning methods
- TREAT-AFTER-TOO - Targeting the elimination of antineoplastic compounds in hospital wastewaters: novel frontiers in sustainable treatment
- HYWATER – Treatment of contaminated drinking water using a hybrid low-cost process
- IIPIM - Integrated MFC-MBR system using low-cost, multifunctional ceramic membrane for efficient wastewater treatment and electricity recovery
- WRANA - Wastewater reuse: improving the odds by understanding natural attenuation
While these projects gave a great picture of the current Indo-European cooperation in water research, also results and impacts of the past multilateral Indo-European projects were presented and discussed. To flesh the implementation experiences and impacts from projects' perspective, four projects were invited to present lessons learned:
- Greentech: The application of green technologies for sustainable water purification and reuse
- EnMBR: Enzyme supplemented membrane bioreactor (EnMBR) for degradation of recalcitrant compounds in industrial wastewater
- Saph Pani: Enhancement of natural water systems and treatment methods for safe and sustainable water supply in India
- Water4Crops: Integrating bio-treated wastewater reuse with enhanced water use efficiency to support the green economy in EU and India
Participants of networking cafe had the opportunity to meet other conference participants in pre-arranged bilateral meetings to discuss your own project, programme or initiative and reinforce the relationship with actual or potential Indian or European interlocutors.
The session provided a stage for discussion with experts on joining forces on the Ganges Rejuvenation Plan and the Water JPI and its cooperation outside Europe. Also activities the WssTP outside Europe were presented.
Masterclass on Business Development
The session targeted scientists and entrepreneurs who want to bring ideas to the market. The session introduced the basic elements of business development like the business model canvas and the creation of a business plan, and discussed open innovation eco-systems.